Experience the Rewards of a Green Commute
The Marin Commutes Rewards program allows anyone living or working in Marin County to earn up to $500 per year for logging eligible green trips. Wherever you’re going, you’ll be able to earn rewards for walking, biking, taking transit, carpooling and vanpooling — even working from home!
How It Works
- Register for a Marin Commutes Rewards account for a Marin Commutes Rewards account or log in to your Marin Commutes Rewards account to your existing account.
- Log your green trips.
- Get Rewarded!
Compete With Friends
Earn badges, climb the leaderboard, and compete in challenges!
Track Your Impact
See the difference your commute makes for your wallet, your health, and the environment!
Optimize Your Commute
Plan your ideal trip with transit information, bike/walking routes, and carpool matching with other users!
Earn gift cards and enter drawings for even more prizes!
What people love about participating in Marin Commutes
[Marin Commutes] encouraged me to walk to work more often. Walking to work on cool crisp mornings energizes me for the day.
It was fun comparing my logged miles to everyone else’s. Also the prizes!
I like the focus on commuting and the cost savings to each person in addition to the rewards offered.
I liked seeing the environmental impact of my commute!
[Marin Commutes] was a great motivation to start using transit and biking to work.
You can earn up to $500 in rewards per year by logging eligible trips!
Earn gift cards by logging eligible trips in the Marin Commutes Rewards web dashboard or on your iOS or Google Play Commute Tracker app.
Eligible trips include:
- Transit (e.g. train, bus, shuttle, ferry)
- Working from home
Even if you don’t commute to work or school, you can participate in Marin Commutes Rewards! For the purposes of this program, “commute” refers to any trip you need to take to, from, or within Marin County — whether it’s an appointment, errand, volunteer commitment, or another type of trip you take regularly.
Climb the gift card ladder to earn up to four levels of gift cards totaling $100 per year! You’ll earn the gift cards in sequence, one gift card per level. As you log eligible trips, you claim the gift card incentive for each level you achieve.
If you take 3 eligible round trips per week, you could earn your first gift card in less than 3 weeks! If you log enough eligible trips, you can earn $100 in gift cards by the end of the year!
|Level 1||Log 15 trips||$5 gift card|
|Level 2||Log 60 trips||$15 gift card|
|Level 3||Log 150 trips||$30 gift card|
|Level 4||Log 300 trips||$50 gift card|
|Climb through all 4 levels =$100 total!|
Earn different point amounts based on your commute mode. Decide which drawings to enter and how many entries you want to redeem. Use all of your points each month, or save them up for future months or the Annual Grand Prize!
|Prize||# of Winners||Price per Entry||Eligibility|
|Monthly Drawings||$25 gift card||7||5 points||All Participants|
|$150 gift card||2||25 points||All Participants|
|Annual Drawing||$250 gift card||2||50 points||Participants who have logged at least 25 eligible trips that year|
Monthly and yearly Automatic Drawings will be held for additional rewards. Every eligible participant will automatically be entered for a chance to win— no points needed!
|Prize||# of Winners||Eligibility|
|Monthly Automatic Drawing||$100 gift card||1 per month||Participants who have logged at least 8 eligible trips that month|
|Annual Automatic Drawing||$250 gift card||1 per year||Participants who have logged at least 100 eligible trips that year|
New Year Commute Challenge: Jan 25 – March 7, 2023
Here are two ways to earn extra rewards through this 6-week challenge:
How to enter:
- Log your trips to climb the Leaderboard!
- Bi-weekly drawings: Everyone in the top 50% of trip makers on each Leaderboard will be automatically entered.
- Grand prize drawing: Top 25% of trip makers on each Leaderboard will be automatically entered.
How to enter:
- Take a photo of yourself walking, biking, taking transit, carpooling, or vanpooling, and share a few words about your commute and experience with Marin Commutes Rewards.
- Email your photo and story to email@example.com OR if your social media account is public, post it and tag us at: @MarinCommutes (Facebook & Twitter) and @Marin_Commutes (Instagram).
- Please note: Your photo and story may be shared on Marin Commutes’ website, social media, newsletter, or other materials.
- Drawing on Weds. Feb. 8 (for Jan. 25 – Feb. 7)
- Drawing on Weds. Feb. 22 (for Feb. 8 – Feb. 21)
- Drawing on Weds. March 8 (for Feb. 22 – March 7)
- Grand Prize Drawing on Weds. March 8
Plus, keep earning rewards year-round!
|Launch Bonus||Earn 10 bonus points just for signing up|
|“First Five” Bonus||Earn 25 bonus points after logging your first 5 eligible trips|
|Survey Bonus||Take a survey to win 100 bonus points! (A link to the survey can be found in your Rewards Dashboard.)|
|Referral Bonus||Refer your friends and colleagues! For every friend that names you as their referrer when they register, you’ll get 100 bonus points.|
Stay tuned for more opportunities to win! We will introduce additional point opportunities and drawings throughout the year for participating in events like Bike to Work Week and New Year challenges.
|Trip Mode||Trips Counted Toward Earning Gift Cards||Points Earned for Monthly and Annual Prize Drawings|
|Transit (e.g. train, bus, shuttle, ferry)||
One way = 1 trip
Round trip = 2 trips
(maximum of 2 trips per day)
10 points per one-way tripOR
20 points per round trip
|Working from Home/Remote Work||One day of remote work = 2 “trips”||5 points per “trip” = 10 points per day of remote work|
Gift cards are redeemed through the Tango Card®, which can be accessed directly in the Marin Commutes Rewards platform.
Participants who log eligible trips or win prize drawings may choose from approximately 100 gift card options to redeem their rewards. Participants may also choose to donate their reward to charities that are partnered with Tango Card®. View the full list of gift card redemption options.
How to Get Started
Learn how to sign up for your Marin Commutes Rewards account and start logging trips.
- Go to marincommutes.rideamigos.com.
- Click the blue “Register to Join” button.
- On the next few screens, you’ll be prompted to enter your name, email address, and home and work address.
- When you get to the “Search Networks” step, select the “Marin Commutes” network.
Note: If you want to join an additional network, such as an employer network or the Merge Bay Area carpooling network, you can search and join those networks during this step.
- Let us know who you referred you to help them earn even more rewards!
- You’re all set up! Now you can start logging your trips and earning rewards through the web platform, or download the Commute Tracker app to make logging your trips even easier!
Logging Your Trips
The Marin Commutes Rewards program offers several convenient methods for logging trips.
- After logging in to your account, go to your Dashboard and scroll down to the “Log Your Trips” tool.
- Use the calendar tool to select the dates of your trips. Today’s date will be selected by default, but you can also log trips from up to two weeks in the past.
- Use the drop-down menu and choose between entering a new origin and destination or one of your saved Favorite Trips.
- Confirm the details about your trip. If your trip is one-way, select “No Return Trip” below the time field.
- Click the green “Log Trips” button.
- Download the Commute Tracker app.
- From your desktop or mobile browser, log in to your Marin Commutes Rewards account and click the green “Get Connected” button in the top right corner of your Dashboard.
- A window will open displaying your PIN code. It should look like a yellow box with white text: matku1
- Open the Commute Tracker app and tap through the blue buttons until prompted to enter your PIN code. Fill out the requested details. Now you’re connected!
- The Commute Tracker app will automatically detect your trips using your smartphone’s GPS. To log your trips just press the blue “Confirm” button to earn credit towards rewards! You can also Review or Confirm your trips from the “Commutes” section of the app.
If you want to disable trip detection, tap ‘Tracking Enabled’ at the top of your Dashboard to switch to ‘Tracking Paused’.
List of eligible apps:
- Strava – Fitness tracker for bicyclists and runners
- Waze Carpool – Ridematch app for carpooling
To manage your connected apps:
- From your profile settings, tap on “Connected Apps.”
- Click the blue “Manage my Connected Apps” button. Apps eligible for connecting are listed here. If you haven’t already, install the app you would like to connect onto your smartphone.
- Select the app you would like to connect. Follow the instructions to complete the connection process.
- Contact Marin Commutes staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anyone 18 years or older who lives, works, or travels in Marin County is eligible to participate and win prizes.
- Yes! For the purposes of this program, “commute” refers to any trip you need to take from one destination to another. If you don’t commute to work or school, you can log any regular trip you take, such as trips to recurring appointments or errands, school drop-off, or volunteer commitments.
- The rewards pilot program begins on October 1, 2022. The 12-month period for the purpose of redemption of rewards runs from October 1 through September 30.
- Participants can not earn or win more than $500 in gift cards or other prizes over the course of the calendar year. If a participant meets that threshold, his or her eligibility will be reinstated once a new calendar year begins. Winners are responsible for any IRS reporting requirements and/or taxes related to prizes and incentives provided by Marin Commutes.
- Trips can be logged up to two weeks after the trip took place. However, we recommend logging your trips every day or at the end of every week. For trips to count toward the drawing for that month, trips must be logged by 11:59 p.m. on the last day of that month.
Marin Commutes reserves the right to make changes to the pilot program and rules at any time, during or following each 12-month cycle.
Incentives are available while funds last.
- Anyone that is at least 18 years of age that travels to, from, or within Marin County is eligible to participate.
- If a trip does not either start or end in Marin County, that trip is not eligible.
- Remote workers must either reside in Marin County or have a primary work location in Marin County.
- Drive-alone trips are not eligible for earning trip credit or points. To earn trip credits or points, an alternative mode must be used, such as carpool, vanpool, train, public bus, ferry, bike, walking, or working remotely. If you have a question about whether a trip is eligible, contact us at email@example.com.
- Participants cannot count sick days, vacation days, PTO days, etc. as telecommute trips.
- Drawing prize amounts, drawing entry point values, and point earning rates are subject to change at any time during the pilot.
- Participants must redeem their points by 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the month to enter that month’s drawings. Drawing winners will be selected during the first week of the following month.
- A participant may win up to one drawing prize per category per month (i.e., you can only win one of the $25 gift cards per month).
- Participants can save their points to use in the following month(s) within the 12-month period, but points reset at the end of each 12-month period (points do not roll over into the next year). The 12-month period for the purpose of redemption of rewards runs from October 1 through September 30.
- If a participant forgets to use up their points by 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the 12-month period (September 30, 2023), their remaining points will be automatically rolled into the Annual Grand Prize Drawing.
- To qualify for the $250 Annual Grand Prize drawing, participants must have logged at least 25 eligible trips during that program year.
- To qualify for the $100 Monthly “Automatic” Drawing, participants must have logged at least 8 eligible trips during that month.
- To qualify for the $250 Annual Automatic Drawing, participants must have logged at least 100 eligible trips during that program year.
- Participants are limited to winning prizes valued at no more than $500 during a calendar year. If a participant meets that threshold, their eligibility will be reinstated once a new calendar year begins. Winners are responsible for any IRS reporting requirements and/or taxes related to prizes and incentives provided by Marin Commutes.
- Program participants will be required to agree to the Terms of Eligibility, Publicity Release and Liability Waiver before participating in the program. The Release and Liability Waiver will be administered within the Marin Commutes Rewards platform.
- Email addresses provided by participants during the sign-up process will be added to the Marin Commutes electronic newsletter distribution list. By participating in this program you are agreeing to receive emails about the Marin Commutes Rewards program and other Marin Commutes programs and services.
Will you help us spread the word? You can use these digital resources to share Marin Commutes Rewards with your network!